Sunday, July 5, 2009

July 5th








Wow, here it is the Sunday the 5th of July. We are on the downhill swing of the mission. Yesterday was the 4th and I think it is the first time I have not been to Cherry Days for the day. We had a very quiet day here. We were off on the 3rd and I did laundry, went for a swim at the Judges home and sewed. Paul played a round of golf and about baked himself. It was in the HIGH 90+ so I passed on the golf. But he said he enjoyed however he came home TIRED!. That evening they had fireworks at the lake but we were both too tired to go. So we stayed home and watched a movie from Red Box.
On the actual 4th we drove to a small town called Washington which is 29 miles south of Elberton. We toured the museum and the Robert Toombs home. They were old plantation syle homes. He was a General in the Civil War and was very strong for the South. As a matter of fact he never did come back into the union after the war. I guess you could say he was a Rebel until he died. It is so interesting how the some of the people still think the South should have won the war.
We came back home and had a cute family from Sandy Springs drive up here to visit. We went to the park and had a picnic with them and visited until about 8:00.
This family is here from Ghuana. He has been for about a year and she came up in October with the two children. They are a great family. He works for ING in Atlanta. They have both been members of the church for most of their lives. They are a great family and we reallly admire them for all the sacrifices that they make to be here. We hope one day they can come visit us in Utah. Edwin is 3 and Emma is 5. We were so happy when they came up. We had lunch at the park in Elberton, the kids were able to run around and play for awhile. It was a great afternoon.
They then drove back home.
The neighbor next door lit fireworks and we watched out the window. All in all a quiet evening. Today we went to church, we have a calling now we are teaching the Gospel Doctrine class. So Paul taught today and I wrote on the board. However, I was asked to teach Relief Society the next two weeks so I guess Paul will be the teacher. He does a great job.
Our lives go on as usual, we have finished the Estates now and are working on misc. type documents, jury elections, etc and all different types of court records. There are about 42 boxes but they are small and going quite fast, so we may have them done by mid july. Then we will start with the VERY LARGE LARGE Books. And they will take up the rest of our time. We have planned to go to the Biltmore House in Ashville NC over the 24th weekend. We are going to a Abba concert outdoors and spending the night. The Biltmore house belonged to the Vanderbilts, very large and supposed to be very beautiful, we are looking forward to that. So until then we will keep busy with our work and church callings.

I have been reading a interesting book and I just wanted to quote a paragraph in it. Paul and I have been talking about getting old lately, he wakes up in the morning and says "who is that bald fat man in the mirror, I know it is not me!" And we laugh. This paragraph summed up how we will probably feel in a few years. It just hit me so I wanted to save it.
This old 92 year old man is sitting in a nursing home, he is pretty sharp still but he is feeling bad and he looks at his hands and says" I reach for the napkin, and as I do I catch sight of my hands. They are knobby and crooked, thin-skinned, and -like my ruined face--covered with liver spots.... My face. I push the porridge aside and open my vanity mirror. I should know better by now, but somehow I still expect to see myself. Instead, I find an Applachian apple doll, withered and spotty, with dewlaps and bags and long floppy ears. A few strands of white hair spring absurdly from its spotted skull. I try to brush the hairs flat with my hand and freeze at the sight of my old hand on my old head. I lean close and open my eyes very wide, trying to see beyond the sagging flesh. It's no good. Even when I look straight into the milky blue eyes, I can't find myself anymore. When did I stop being me?" For some reason that verse just hit me, and I remember my mother saying how her hands were not hers anymore. Not sure why I am thinking of these type of things, but DANG I guess we are getting a little older. But just the same life is very good to us. I am so blessed each day, with my life, the beautiful world and I just am so thankful for all that I have.

Today it is rainy and cloudy, after church we have a pretty quiet day ahead of us. Michelle called yesterday and said that they were having a good time at Bear Lake with the family. Sherman and Daina called and told us they had been camping with friends and were going to a cook out last night. Everyone is always keeping busy. I have said it before and I will say it again. LIFE IS GOOD!!!


No comments: